You have no items in your shopping cart.
Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe By SportyAfros.com
I am a lover of soup. Soups are one of my favorite things to cook. They are quick, simple and healthy. I love it! The latest one I made was Mexican Chicken- Tortilla soup. It was ridiculously simple and really flavorful.
- 2 whole small chicken breasts (about 1-1/2 pounds total)( I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
- 3.5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- I also added chopped 1 ancho chili and 1 jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1, 14 1/2 ounce can tomatoes, cut up
- 1, 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1, 4 ounce can whole green chili peppers, rinsed, seeded, and cut into thin bite-size strips
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
6 5 1/2 inches corn tortillas
- I nixed the tortillas since I’ m on a low carb kick right now
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces)
1.Place broth in large saucepan or Dutch oven; add chicken. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Remove chicken from broth. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
2.Skin, bone, and finely shred chicken; set aside. Discard skin and bones. Strain broth through large sieve or colander lined with two layers of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Skim fat from broth; set broth aside.
3. In same saucepan cook onion, cumin, and garlic in 1 tablespoon hot oil until onion is tender but not brown. Stir in strained broth, undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili peppers, cilantro, and oregano. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir in chicken; heat through. 4. Cut tortillas in half, then cut them crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips. In a heavy medium skillet heat 1/4 inch of oil. Fry strips in hot oil, half at a time, about 1 minute or until crisp and light brown. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. 5. Divide tortilla strips among 4 bowls. Ladle soup over tortilla strips. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Mexican Chicken-Tortilla Soup)
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- Calories 359,
- Protein (gm) 33,
- Carbohydrate (gm) 12,
- Fat, total (gm) 20,
- Cholesterol (mg) 79,
- Saturated fat (gm) 8,
- Dietary Fiber, total (gm) 2,
- Vitamin C (mg) 27,
- Sodium (mg) 1136,
- Calcium (DV %) 313,
- Iron (DV %) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet